Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: lifting

lifting 9 years, 1 month ago #102

• Ian
Joe Rossi, I was just wondering, what kind of a work out routine, would work well with boxing?
Last Edit: 9 years, 1 month ago by Rob Pilger.

Re:lifting 9 years, 1 month ago #103

• Ben
Coach Rossi,

I have just started boxing and am worried about how it will affect my weightlifting as it drains my energy prety heavily. I have no interest in losing weight, so what kind of strength workouts would you suggest for someone that is trying to maintain if not gain muscle? I have started increasing my food intake as well but it is hard not to just go for high calorie food, that may not be the best for me, so any suggestions in the nutrition department would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

Re:lifting 9 years, 1 month ago #104

• Joe Rossi
  • Fresh Boarder
Ian,
Thanks for writing in. This is a very broad question because the answer is based on the individual. I will try to narrow it down for you and make sense of it.

You could make a strong case for any type of training/workout routine to go along and help you out with your boxing (powerlifting, olympic lifting,bodybuilding,strong man training, etc.), but any type of training/workout routine will not be best for you!
What will be best for you is to develope a keen sense of judgement for yourself, giving you the ability to know your weaknesses and focus on improving them. What is your boxing level and what do you feel is your weekness at this point in your boxing game?
If you are an amateur, the majority of your time should be spent in the gym \"Learning your craft\" as they say. Learning and developing your fight skills. The time and effort this takes in the begining is enough of a workout if you are doing what I think you are doing at the begining of this level (learning the basics & conditoning the basics with shadow boxing, mitt work, heavy bag, double end bag, speed bag, light sparring for rounds).
My point here is you can be the strongest and most conditioined bastard in the ring, but if you haven't developed the necessary skills of your level, conditoning goes out the window. You will be on the canvas before you know it.
If you have gotten the above mentioned down (the basics), then your training can become more specialized, adding in other forms of training to improve your weaknesses. I would love to make it easy for everyone and give you a bull shit answer on what you should be doing, but it won't help you until we know where you are at. Let me know, and we can go from here.
Joe Rossi
Last Edit: 9 years, 1 month ago by Joe Rossi.

Re:lifting 9 years, 1 month ago #105

• Joe Rossi
  • Fresh Boarder
Ben,
I think it's really cool that you started boxing. All show and no go is never fun. Now you will put the hustle behind the muscle!
If you’re feeling that boxing is draining your lifting sessions, then I have to ask you when are you lifting in relation to boxing? What does your training week look like?
This sounds like a recovery issue. Keep in mind that if you are lifting directly after boxing, boxing and lifting on same days, or trying to lift on days that you feel beat up from the previous boxing sessions, there is no doubt that strength can be compromised because of lack of recovery. If you are training 6-7 days a week as well, with a mix of boxing and lifting, this can be too much to recover from. Everybody responds different. In my experience, there needs to be proper recovery between these two types of training so that both can compliment each other. Let me know where you are at,
Joe Rossi

Re:lifting 9 years, 1 month ago #106

• Ben
Coach Rossi,

Before I started boxing I was lifting 3-4 times a week. I usually combine chest with legs, shoulders and back, and arms and some cardio. If I feel up to the 4th day I will repeat what I did the first of the week trying to mix that up the following. Now that I have Rob's class to look forward to on Mondays, Wendsday, and sometimes Fridays(if I can talk him into it). I tried lifting the same days as boxing and realized quickly that was a terrible idea. I have recently been lifting Tuesdays and Thursdays and just trying to commbine my 3-4 workouts into the 2. I try to take weekends off but sometimes I cheat and run or do some lighter lifting. That's pretty much my routine, I need to tweak it and any changes you could suggest would be great.

Also, After the first week of boxing I went from 205 to 199 lbs. This is NOT what I want but I'm doing so much physical activity I see no way around it. And trust me when I say I eat everything in sight whenever I can. Any specific high calorie foods I could be buying. I use D milk in my protein shakes and am so close to just using ice cream.

Thanks
Ben Lewis

Re:lifting 9 years, 1 month ago #107

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
Joe will agree with saying that you can't have the best of both worlds. If you want to gain mass then you will have to cut back on your boxing classes. If you want to strength train which is wise and NOT body build then combine your 4 day routine to an upper and lower 2 day split, then you could do a day 3 as a repitition day. ( 6-10 reps). You cannot do a body building routine and expect to perform well in boxing. Since you do not plan on competing you can get away with some excessive rep work, but those reading this who compete as Joe pointed out volume MUST be factored correctly as with recovery Since we are only as good as we recover. Fuck the body building dense program design approach.

Ben, place your nutrition questions in the nutrition department as Guy Jones specializes in this realm as well. You need to be careful on what you eat as so you don't put on fat instead of muscle. Leave the ice cream alone. Amino Acid intake helps out very well with gains in weight. SZo supplement with a liquid amino drink and consume up to 40-45 grams during your strength training.

Read the primal pattern approach to training article in the strength training department. Focus on movement patterns and not isolated muscle groups.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds