Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: lifting

Re:lifting 9 years, 3 months ago #108

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
Joe will agree with saying that you can't have the best of both worlds. If you want to gain mass then you will have to caught back on your boxing classes. If you want to strength train which is wise and NOT body build then combine your 4 day routine to an upper and lower 2 day split, then you could do a day 3 as a repitition day. ( 6-10 reps). You cannot do a body building routine and expect to perform well in boxing. Since you do not plan on competing you can get away with some excessive rep work, but those reading this who compete as Joe pointed out volume MUST be factored correctly as with recovery as we are only as good as we recover. Fuck the body building dense program design approach.

Ben, place your nutrition questions in the nutrition department as Guy Jones specializes in this realm as well. You need to be careful on what you eat as so you don't put on fat instead of muscle. Amino Acid intake helps out very well with gains in weight. SZo supplement with a liquid amino drink and consume up to 40-45 grams during your strength training.

Re:lifting 9 years, 3 months ago #109

• Ian
Coach Rossi,

My boxing level would be a beginner. So i'm still learning the basics and going through conditioning and foot work. I have been lifting as well, usually 3 to 4 times a week.

I feel my weakness's are as follows, when i get into a set routine and feeling good about it, I lose focus and break my schedule. I also feel no matter how hard i try to get toned, the results keep falling short. I'm not sure if i'm working the right muscles or following a correct work program?

Ian

Re:lifting 9 years, 3 months ago #110

• Joe Rossi
  • Fresh Boarder
Ben,
Diet and recovery must be factored in to your training if you want to recover from hard boxing and weight training sessions.

As for diet, ask the nutrition department as Coach Rob said. Keep in mind if you are not taking in the appropriate amount of calories consisting of protein/fat/carbs, you will never gain/maintain/lose body weight, depending on your goal. Diet plays a key part in your recovery as well. Simply put, if you eat like shit, you will perform, feel, and look like shit! You can't recover from hard training from malnourishment. Try to eat consistently clean most of the time!

Recovery also plays a huge role with how well you make gains from training sessions. You need at least a day or two of complete rest so your body can recover from hard training sessions. This means 7-8 hours of sleep per night coupled with a day or two of no training. I don't care who you are or what level you are at, you will burn the hell out if you train hard seven days a week. No recovery also increases your chance of a nice burn-out injury. This is never fun.

As for training, you can't have the best of both worlds as you can weight train and box and make good gains in both, but like coach Rob said, something has to give. Something has to give meaning cut back on a boxing class or cut back on the weight training so you can RECOVER! This will enable you to be fresh for both. Don't fool yourself. One full body weight training session per week coupled with a money diet & recovery will increase your strength levels enabling you to break personal records all while boxing. Leave your full body weight training session for a day you do not box. Go with the one full body training session per week, get your diet straight, and continue to learn the skill of boxing. If you have any other questions, shoot away.
Joe Rossi
Last Edit: 9 years, 3 months ago by Joe Rossi.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.15 seconds