Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

planes of movement and programming for mma vs boxi
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: planes of movement and programming for mma vs boxi

planes of movement and programming for mma vs boxi 6 years, 6 months ago #256

Are there any planes of movement that you would focus on with an mma fighter that you wouldn't with a boxer? How would you differ an mma fighters program from a boxers(I know this is a very general question), and are there any imbalances specific to mma fighters which you would not see in a boxer?

Re:planes of movement and programming for mma vs boxi 6 years, 6 months ago #257

• Shawn Frost
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Preparing Warriors for Real World Victory
Great Question!
Having worked with both, my experience is that MMA fighters differ in that they need to work at changing levels more than boxers but both should be working in multiple planes of motion. If anything explosive power in the sagittal lower body (hip and knee extension) is important for shooting, taking down and lifting up. That is less crucial for boxers. Both need power in trunk rotation, and lateral speed/agility to slip punches. MMA fighters need circumduction of the lower leg for throwing thai kicks (inside and outside), but skill training on the heavy bag usually handles this.

As for imbalances, it comes back to what the dominant style of fighter is. If he's a striker, then he will have the same issues as a boxer (kyphosis, slight rotation to weak hand side) from being in a striking stance. Most athletes are anteriorly dominant meaning they work the hell out of the muscles that are visible in the mirror. Extension is always a good idea.
One thing I've learned to watch for is guys doing a lot of BJJ need almost no grip training, so it's easy to get overuse injuries (avoid fat bars and wrist stuff) because the are grabbing Gi's etc.

As with anything, more mat time means less strength time and do whichever is more important in the development first so that they have the energy for what's most important.

Not sure if I answered your question, but I wanted to provide you with something. As with any athlete, use the periodization scheme to strengthen into an imbalance leading up to an event and then counteract the imbalance afterwards in the \"off\" or \"recovery\" phase. Postural and corrective exercises should be a part of any serious athlete's program.

If you have a more specific question, shoot it out here.

Good luck!
Shawn Frost
The Warrior Academy
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds