Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Training Sessions

Training Sessions 8 years, 11 months ago #129

• aawrestlerchamp
I just started boxing about a month ago, and I have a heavy bag, speed bag, and double end bag right now. Im getting pretty comfortable with my footwork although I need to learn to keep my feet planted a little better, any suggestions for this??

But my main question is how should I structure my training sessions?
I train 3-4 times a week for 1-1.5 hrs, and usually I work all 3 of my bags for about 10-20 minutes and do about 15 minutes of shadow boxing in every workout.

Is this the right way to structure my training sessions? Also should I switch up the order in which I work the bags or is their a specific order I should put them in?

Thanks a ton! And sorry for the length of the post and so many questions.

Re:Training Sessions 8 years, 11 months ago #130

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
Thanks for posting and there is no need to apologize for the length of your post and for asking several questions. We are here to help you so ask as often as you like and ask as many questions as you like.

Review the footwork articles/videos in that department. Yes you want to plant and pivot your feet when you punch then move on the balls on the feet when moving. Training and time will make this transition automatic.

As far as your training structure. Beging with jumping rope as a warm up and conditioning. Then perform mobility/flexability drills. ( see those department here ) then shadow box. After shadow boxing either work the mitts if you have someone to hold them for you or begin bag work. The heavy bag usually takes the most energy from you so you can begin with this one first then move on to the double end bag, then speed bag. But you can certainly switch them up, by working the double end bag first and heavy bag then speed bag.

Be sure to get an upper cut bag as these bags are very useful.

3-4 rounds on each one is good but switch the number of rounds up to prevent stagnation.

Try to get someone to hold the mitts for you as the punch mitts are very beneficial and I think one of the best tools to use. See the punch mitt department here for guidance.

When you are ready mix your combos up on the bags to up the intensity as well.

Enjoy your training and please keep us updated and don't hesitate to write back in with any questions, comments, or thoughts.

Rob

Re:Training Sessions 8 years, 10 months ago #137

• Danny
  • Fresh Boarder
Coach Rob,

You talked about getting someone to hold punch mitts for you when training, but what if they don't know how to hold mitts properly for the punches being used.

Do you having any videos or advice on how to show them where to place mitts and proper techniques for catching punches?

Thanks Danny
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds