Username Password: Remember me

IS 25 TOO LATE TO START BOXING?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: IS 25 TOO LATE TO START BOXING?

IS 25 TOO LATE TO START BOXING? 8 years, 10 months ago #133

• urlegendz
  • Fresh Boarder
Like the title read I am 25 years old and I am going to begin training at the begining of next month. I realize that most boxers usually learn the game as a teenager and begin their amateur career at a relatively young age but I am currently in excellent physical shape, strong and well conditioned at 162 lbs. I feel great physically and believe that I am ready to compete, I just need to learn the tools and gain the knowlege that I need to succeed in the sport. In the back of my mind I know that It might handicap my chances of possibly turning pro by starting at such a late age..but I feel like the 25 year old me would beat the shit out of the 18 year old me and i'm currently only 8-10 lbs. heavier. I'm just more mature, and focused, and determined...and really I feel like I could seriously take it to any 18 year old that they would throw in front of me...So, is 25 years old really too late to start a boxing career?

Re:IS 25 TOO LATE TO START BOXING? 8 years, 10 months ago #134

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
This is a really great topic of discussion. 25 is NOT too old to start boxing. Keep in mind former heavyweight champ Ken Norton was 25 when he began boxing. Unified Lightweight champ Nate Campbell started in his late twenties I believe when he was 27.

Keep in mind though that being in great shape is one thing but REALLY learning how to fight is the most important factor. Boxing has become SO watered down now a days that if you really study and focus on improving your offensive and defensive skills you will become a very good fighter. It only matters what YOU think that determines YOUR success. Fuck what anybody else may think, if they are negative about anything, cut them off so you can keep growing.

You're in great hands with this site as my team of experts and I will keep delivering the best training guidelines possible to help you along the way.

Please keep using this forum to keep us updated on your progress and don't hesitate to ask any questions or add any comments.

Great to have you a member of this site!

Re:IS 25 TOO LATE TO START BOXING? 8 years, 10 months ago #135

• urlegendz
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the help Rob. Your website is awesome.
My name is Jeremy by the way, you'll be seeing me around the forum.

Re:IS 25 TOO LATE TO START BOXING? 8 years, 10 months ago #136

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
You're welcome Jeremy and I look forward to your future posts.
Last Edit: 8 years, 10 months ago by Rob Pilger.

Re:IS 25 TOO LATE TO START BOXING? 8 years, 10 months ago #138

• Joe Rossi
  • Fresh Boarder
Jeremy,
It's never too late! This is our newest member Ken, also known as \"Old Dirty Bastard\" in our gym. He is 54 years old, smokes a pack a day, and we continue to work on getting him more healthy as each day goes by. People tell him he is too old to box, but he is doing it! He is not only doing it, but he is training in an environment with amateur and pro fighters. This is not the most welcoming environment for someone who has never boxed.

The point of me telling you this, don't let anything ever get in your way. If you want to fight, set your sights on it and go after it. I believe the Golden Gloves cut-off is age 35. You are well ahead of the game.
Joe Rossi
Attachments:

Re:IS 25 TOO LATE TO START BOXING? 8 years, 10 months ago #139

• urlegendz
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks joe..i'm so ready. I'm starting sessions wit my coach in about 2 weeks, but i've spent the past 5-6 months strength training. Physically i'm on point. I just need to learn the neccessary skills to compete.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds