Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: sparring mindset ?

sparring mindset ? 8 years, 5 months ago #172

• Collin
  • Fresh Boarder
coach, what are the main skills of boxing to focus on when learning to spar? what should we specifically be striving for? # of hits, solid footwork ?

Re:sparring mindset ? 8 years, 5 months ago #175

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
Collin, the basics and trusting in your skills. You are striving for mastering of your skills ( whether that be offense like perfecting your jab, and defense like moving your head ), mind, and emotions.

Sparring is your grade card to let you know where you currently are and where you need to be to be ready for a fight.

Re:sparring mindset ? 8 years, 5 months ago #176

Well said Rob. I've been able to get to the gym and spar every Saturday for a while. There's some good hungry guys where I train and an ex pro with some sharp skills. I've been trying to improve my skills and what I should do in different situations, not trying to kill the guy. What I'm saying is that I've been prescribing to what you're saying for a while and it's helped. Bullshit gym wars don't really help anyone really improve. That being said, I do plan on fighting eventually and would like to know at what point do you change your approach to more closely mimic a fight?

Re:sparring mindset ? 8 years, 5 months ago #178

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
Great question, as you move closer to the fight the sparring picks up to peak for the fight. No sense to get too hard core too far out. That being said sparring should be planned that you're firing on all cylinders come fight night.

In my gym I have my fighters spar all styles, south paws, different height of fighters and even fighters a weight class or two smaller for speed and bigger for movement and for enduring a bigger ring presence if that makes sense.

Quality sparring gets all the kinks out so come fighter night it's show time!
Last Edit: 8 years, 5 months ago by Rob Pilger.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds