Username Password: Remember me

Jack Dempsey talks about \"Shovel Hooks\"
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Jack Dempsey talks about \"Shovel Hooks\"

Jack Dempsey talks about \"Shovel Hooks\" 8 years, 4 months ago #179

• Collin
  • Fresh Boarder
hey coach, in Jack Dempsey's book \"Champion Fighting\" he promotes BOTH inside and outside hooks and you tell us to prettymuch open the hook. the inside or shovel hook is differnt. the first is 45 degrees to the ceiling, and it hooks in and up. the elbow is very bent and the fist starts near the shoulder, and is powered by a hip and shoulder twist.These shots are fast, close range-to medium range, highly explosive, and can slip indisde/up into an opponents guard. I practiced dempsey's inside hook on the heavybag today and i can now appreciate the force generated, speed, and usefullness of this punch- You can shoot shovels to the body, head, and the jaw. So basically are you familiar with the inside hook, and if you take care to keep your face protected is there a reason why we shoulon't use them?
thanks

Re:Jack Dempsey talks about \"Shovel Hooks\" 8 years, 4 months ago #180

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
I teach them at my school when the student is ready for them.at Yes I teach to open the hook, the basic hook that is, but boxing is about throwing punches from different angles once you are ready to learn that. Depending on the fighters defence, he will give you different looks, so you must throw from different angles and distances to get through or purely act once you see an opening. So yes close in side hooks are great but ONLY if you turn your shoulder, core, and hip into it as the great Dempsey did. That's why Tyson was such a viscous puncher and a great finisher, he studied a lot of Dempsey fights and admired him so much he honored him by wearing all black trunks and shoes with no socks into the ring, along with robe.

Thanks for the great question Collin.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds