Username Password: Remember me

Tips for Sparring: Defence/Covering Up
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tips for Sparring: Defence/Covering Up

Tips for Sparring: Defence/Covering Up 8 years, 3 months ago #185

• Collin
  • Fresh Boarder
Coach, fully covering up and crouching while under attack is practical defence when a boxer is overwhelmed by an attack. but when i'm covered up like a turtle i am very vulnerable to heavy hooks, and even standing back upright itself can lead to openings and hard shots to the face. a) what can we do to avoid cover-up situations, and counter back b) what should we do/not do, when caught and covered c) how can we force our opponents to cover-up and how can we gain a winning advantage. I think alot of fighters could achieve more in matches knowing what plans to utilize regarding the cover up/croutch question.

what do ya got to say on this one coach?

Re:Tips for Sparring: Defence/Covering Up 8 years, 3 months ago #187

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
There is a science to covering up Collin. Winky Wright was one of the best defensive fighters in the last 15 years and all he did was keep his guard tight, ( covering up ) he easily picked off punches as he kept his elbows tucked, chin tucked, hands hight, and eyes level seeing the oncoming shots and that is key. If you keep your gloves in front on your face hooks can get inbut you can position your gloves to cover your face and still be able to pick off hooks. Hand position is key and perhaps I'll post a video clip on the site to demonstrate what I mean and in fact I'll shoot one tonight to better explain what I mean.

You of course force your opponents to cover up while being offensive, by coming in behind a strong and fast jab and working combos off that jab. Stepping in with your punches will put you in the range to overwhelm your opponent once you get your combios flowing. 1-2's won't do it.

There is nothing wrong with covering up and many fighters do that to set traps for counter punching, you just look for openings through your gloves when covering up and fire way when you see one. You can change the fight by landing a big counter shot this way and you often disrupt your oponents offensive flow as he'll be more cautious to throw because of the fear of being countered. Youtube Winky Wright's highlights and James Toney's Tony's to see what I mean.

Thanks for this great question!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds