Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newbie

Newbie 7 years, 9 months ago #216

• paoneaj
  • Fresh Boarder
Coach Rob,

This is great. I ran into your site last night from a google search. I want to start by saying I am new to the sport and want to learn to box. I am in my early 30's so I don't expect to be famous... I just want some solid skills and maybe compete az an amateur. With that said, I am going to be using your site for education and training and was wondering if you knew any trainers in the greater metro phoenix area that have the passion and desire to teach an old dog new tricks. Also, when doing your bobb and weave drill with the string.... is it correct to throw a left uppercut when bobbing/left this doesnt feel normal. Correct me if I am wrong but an orthodix fighter who is bobbing left is setup for a jab, left hook or right uppercut, and just reverse this for bobbing right. One last question.... how the hell do you learn to cut angles, LOL. Thanks again for all of the help.
Last Edit: 7 years, 9 months ago by paoneaj.

Re:Newbie 7 years, 9 months ago #217

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
Welcome aboard and we are here to help you become the best you can! Just ask as many questions as you like in te forum so we ca help you better as well.

You can always switch it up on the rope drill, in the ring, there isn't always going to be normal situations so you need to learn how to throw punches from all angles and positions that could occur and bobbing to the left to throw a left upper cut will be such a situation.

Youtube James Toney's highlights, and watch how he would dip and slip and rip nasty upper cuts and body shots with both hands, dipping left and riping and right and ripping, Terry Norris, Pernell Whitacker too...

I learned to cut angles from a two very good coach in Syracuse & Otswego NY in Gino Batrack and Ray Rinaldi....also studying a lot of the greats who did it, and THEN practising it in the gym. Study the greats, apply i in the gym, and that will progress you faster.

My pleasure... Again, we are here to help so don't hesitate to ask anything, and if there is something you would like to see on the site, let me know. I dig your pick of the Raging Bull, Jake was one tough sob! Beat the best fighter that ever lived so far in Robinson when he was in his prime! Nuff said...

Best, Rob
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds