Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Speed vs. Power

Speed vs. Power 9 years, 9 months ago #23

• timaugust
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey Coach Rob-

I have to ask what may seem to be a newbie question. In what way does speed vs. power figure into the fight strategy?

I am relatively new to my boxing training. When I watch professional fights on TV, it seems that often times I see fighters connect with what would have been a knockout punch - except that there seems to be little power behind the punch. I know it's unrealistic to always throw full power behind every punch. What is the strategy seen in these fighters? Are they simply pacing themselves to avoid burning out to soon? Any input to help me understand the strategy behind speed vs. power would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re:Speed vs. Power 9 years, 9 months ago #26

• admin2
Thanks for writing in Tim. This is a good question. The motto in boxing is.. Lead with speed. Follow with power! You can't load up on every punch cause you do punch yourself out.

Look at Mike Tyson. He was a different fighter power wise after 7 or 8 rounds. He was very intense in the ring but that would only last so long.

The key is to stay relaxed but viscous. You see an opening BANG.. explode with speed to capatalize. Even missing power punches takes a lot out of you so fighters have to be smart to set up the power and that is the key Tim.

Remember also that it's the punch that you don't see coming that gets you...KO's you. So how doesn't a fighter see it coming? Great speed is blinding isn't it? Build great speed and the power with KO's will come. This should answer your question.

Please write in any time.

Re:Speed vs. Power 9 years, 9 months ago #30

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
Tim, keep in mind to that again, speed is power. I know what you're talking about, the fast compact punches. Those punches are thrown behind great leverage and technique.

This is what you must strive for in your training, punching with great leverage and speed and the power is there. Too many young fighters today are lacking in technique and leverage. Loading up on every shot gets you tired and can get you caught.

Always go back to the basics of great punching leverage and you'll be fine.

Rob Pilger

Re:Speed vs. Power 9 years, 1 month ago #128

• aawrestlerchamp
What do you mean by leverage?? Do you just mean proper technique?

Re:Speed vs. Power 8 years, 4 months ago #184

aawrestlerchamp wrote:
What do you mean by leverage?? Do you just mean proper technique?

I am definitely no Rob Pilger (nor do I claim to be as knowledgeable as he), but, because your question has yet to be answered, I will attempt to answer your question. No, leverage is not just proper technique. Without discussing levers, torque, force, etc., maybe leverage can be described as using proper technique (to transfer kinetic injury from your feet, through your legs, hips, back, and then through your fist) combined with proper DISTANCE from the person you are punching to multiply the amount of force you are exerting.

For example, look at Rob's video \"Learn the Double 2-1 Combo on the Heavy Bag,\" when he emphasizes the importance of not smothering your punches when you are too close to the opposition. Thus, a smothered punch executed with perfect technique is not your most powerful punch. So, I would oversimplify leverage to be technique combined with distance to increase the amount of force you generate.

I'm sure Rob could have answered the question in far fewer words (and more accurately), but I didn't want to leave you hanging.

Re:Speed vs. Power 8 years, 3 months ago #186

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
Great post aawrestlerchamp!, thanks for clearing this topic/question up.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds