Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sparring

Sparring 9 years, 8 months ago #78

• timaugust
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey Coach Rob-

What are your thoughts on when to start sparring and also what to look for in a sparring partner?

My previous coach, who had more of an MMA background, had kind of a \"sink or swim\" mentality with sparring. It kind of shocked me since I had no defensive skills and basically, I got my ass kicked. I quickly found a true boxing coach.

My current boxing coach has had me working primarily on conditioning and the basics before we get in the ring. I am older, 34, and have a full-time job. I can only train with him once a week. Is there any magic number as to how long before I should get in the ring and actively spar, or does it just depend on a number of factors? I enjoy the sport, and I want to learn these skills, but at my age and with my work, I really have no illusion that I will be a professional someday.

Thanks for your input.

Re:Sparring 9 years, 8 months ago #79

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
You are ready when your coach feels you have mastered the basics well. Buuuut looking good with the basics is one thing and getting in front of another fighter is another. I had a 6'4 250lb. heavyweight who I thought was ready for light sparring but he fraoze up and quit when he got tapped by the first decent right hand landed on him! Sobbing with tears and all and this is NO bullshit... Nerves can get the best of you so maybe work with a VERY new and controled fighter or coach.

You know the saying Tim... Haste Makes Waste....Very true in sparring with beginers. Talk to your coach and ask him to work you in lightly at first so you can work on the basics and then when you're comfortable with that you can increase the intensity of the sparring but have NO gym wars...

Great question Tim, Let me know how your first session goes after you have it. Enjoy!

Coach Rob
Last Edit: 9 years, 8 months ago by Rob Pilger.

Re:Sparring 9 years, 7 months ago #80

• Steve
  • Fresh Boarder
I have only been boxing for a couple of months, I am training with a Pro who knows his stuff. I spar with him, but its works out well because he can sense the level I am at and drop to it. We started sparring about a month ago, some of the other guys with us thought it was a bad idea, but it has worked out fine. He is a great trainer and could tell I was ready to throw some punches (and take some). The biggest obstacle is the conditioning, it is a different world being in the ring when someone else is trying to hit you. Anywho, despite our care in sparring, I got rocked with a right hand last night that busted my nose wide open. It took twenty minutes to stop the bleeding. We box at a local commercial gym, and being as I didn't want them to pull our right to spar, I found myself sitting in a bathroom stall with one hand full of paper towels, plugging my nose, and the other hand full of wet paper towels scrubbing the blood off the bathroom floor. It is then I came to the realize what the sport is about: knocking the crap out of other people. So no matter how careful you can be, your going to get hit and its going to hurt. Being an extreme rookie, I feel like being ready to spar is based on mentality and what the individual expects from the sport. Obviously, getting the basics down and some good conditioning is key, but after that, it comes down to what a person wants. I cleaned the blood up, got the nose to stop bleeding, then put my wraps and gloves back on and went and hit the mits. And like Rob mentions, he had a 250 lb beast who ran off crying after the first blow. Some people just want a washboard stomach and some people can swallow a pint of their own blood and get back in the ring, I think it comes down to the individual and what they want.

Re:Sparring 9 years, 7 months ago #81

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
Great post Steve! It's awesome to hear about your realization on what the sport really is and what it's about... Good stuff.. Please keep sharing your experiences with us.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds