Username Password: Remember me

Pre Fight food
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pre Fight food

Pre Fight food 6 years, 7 months ago #246

• scotte07
  • Fresh Boarder
What should I be eating after weight-in for the fight?

Re:Pre Fight food 6 years, 7 months ago #249

• Shawn Frost
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Preparing Warriors for Real World Victory
What do you normally eat before a tough training session? What works for you? I teach my clients about the concept of \"biochemical individuality\" and we develop an eating plan around that. It's tempting to quote a textbook or human kinetics book on sports nutrition and say something along the lines of \"two bananas, some potatoes, brown rice and lean protein\", but I don't know how the hell your body would process that!

\"one man's medicine is another man's poison.\"

Each of us burns carbohydrates, proteins and fats in different ways. Case and point. Three fighters go on Atkins Diet and do the same number of rounds in open gym circuits. Two of them lose a bunch of weight effortlessly and performance actually increases. Three other fighters go on the American Heart Association Diet (low fat and low glycemic grains, fruits and vegetables... think \"heart healthy\" from the 90's) and two of them become endurance beasts with crazy flurry power at the end of the round and somehow also put on lean muscle. Poor number three in both cases gets fat as hell and if he's a heavyweight let's just say he's wearing his foul guard, HIGH.

Two diets, completely different fuel mixes, some succeed and some fail. WHY? These guys are in a strict program where they all work the same number of rounds and do the same number of miles of road work (not a great idea but it happens). GENETICS. The solution is to know what works for YOU. I use a system called \"metabolic typing diet\" which was developed by Bill Wolcott and we use at the P.A.C. Institute & Warrior Academy. This idea is simple, you take a test and you keep track of how certain meals influence your mood and performance and you dial in your ratios of carbs, proteins and fats from there. Figure out YOUR ideal fuel mix, not Pac Man's, Tyson's or Morales'. YOURS.

You can pick up the book and get started.

My advice to ANY athlete is keep your training table consistent! The fewer variables on event day the better!
You will have the SAME meals that have gotten you results in training. By the time you get to the event, you will be focusing on getting your mind ready by mentally rehearsing your victory and picking your opponent apart. You do NOT need to be experimenting with what you should be eating. That's already been figured out.

Depending on your level and how long you have between weigh-in and opening bell, you can even PRACTICE your nutrition plan in camp. Obviously the longer the better. But your meals should be as identical in training as they are in competition. I'm also not a big fan of pulling a lot of weight quickly and big disparities between \"walking around\" weight and fight night weight. Being a champion means being a champion year round, and cycling as little as is necessary.

Of course, there's the electrolyte and dehydration issue. For quick recovery (depending on how you respond to simple carbs, whether you are a fast/slow oxidizer) I like organic grape juice diluted down to quarter strength with a pinch of natural sea salt in it. Of course you will TRAIN with this and if it works, use it pre-fight.

Remember this is sport SCIENCE. Treat it as such. Do your experimentation in training. Hold as much consistent as you can and keep the only variable on fight night, your skill, talent, fight plan and will to win.

\"Sherpa\" - Shawn Frost, CSCS, MBA, HHP, NLC
Doctoral Student in Sport & Performance Psychology

Re:Pre Fight food 6 years, 7 months ago #250

• scotte07
  • Fresh Boarder
I try and follow the paleo diet, fresh fruit and veg, meat, nuts and berries. but because im fighting up a weight division for my next fight I've been eating a bit of bread and pasta. This may have something to do with why I've been feeling like crap.

Re:Pre Fight food 6 years, 7 months ago #251

• Shawn Frost
  • Fresh Boarder
Ah, you've answered your own question. (as frequently happens in coaching).
I agree with the ideas of Paleo, insofar as it addresses the right types of food to eat, such as wild game and minimally processed foods.
I'm curious why you are fighting up. Is it to be more competitive (locally softer weight class?) or because it's becoming progressively harder to make weight or maybe you have destroyed everyone in your division and want the challenge of moving up. EIther way, pasta and bread are crap which is why you feel like crap. Why not just enjoy more of the good foods on the paleo plan and figure out what your ideal fuel mix is? Train with that, then eat it between weigh in and the fight. Sometimes I have my clients add a warrior shake post workout when they are training hard and either losing mass to fast or are trying to bulk up.

One caution about fighting up: if you add weight MAKE IT COUNT. Don't just add weight to be heavier at the scale, the minimal psychological impact of this on your opponent isn't worth the energy you'll have to expend to move that added mass around. If you come in heavier, make sure it's because you've added muscle which translates into explosive power WITHOUT diminishing speed. When the POP gets there, make sure it's POP not PLOP and it gets there just as quickly as it did in your present weight class. Check out Rob's DVD's for some good programs to make sure this is how it works out. Weigh yourself every day and make sure that the data support what you are doing (have someone count punches as you flurry for 20 seconds on the heavybag) to be sure that you aren't losing stamina. Don't play pitty-pat either, sit down on your punches and throw the same combos (whatever your opponent has show weakness for).
If you come in heavier, you sure as shit better come in stronger. Because you are trading mobility for stability.

That's somewhat off the topic of nutrition, but it really isn't. You are what you eat and when you step through the ropes, EVERYTHING you've eaten, thought, lifted, ran and hit up to that point is working together to bring you whatever result is coming. Taking your training and nutrition seriously will have others taking you seriously

Re:Pre Fight food 6 years, 6 months ago #255

• scotte07
  • Fresh Boarder
I had to fight up just to get on a local show, I got beat on points in a close fight!(Rematch in 3 weeks)Next fight is for the Regional title. What is a warrior shake?

Re:Pre Fight food 6 years, 6 months ago #258

• Shawn Frost
  • Fresh Boarder
Close fights are great teachers.
A warrior shake is a custom blended protein powder (also has MCT's and glutamate) that we have at the warrior academy, as well as an anti-oxidant fruit and veggie blend (like red kool aide) called NanoReds, and either Flax or the delicious lemon creme fish oil. Add a little ice and blend!
If you don't want to get that stuff you can substitute Horizon ultra-pasteurized organic egg whites and your favorite fruit and vegetable powder and fish or flax seed oil/powder.

It covers the basics.
Good luck in your next fight!
SF
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.13 seconds