Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Boxing after Orbital Bone Reconstruction?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Boxing after Orbital Bone Reconstruction?

Boxing after Orbital Bone Reconstruction? 9 years, 4 months ago #93

Do many people come back to boxing or any striking art after an orbital floor reconstruction?

I just underwent the surgery due to an accident, and am curious about how to proceed. I plan to return to Judo in three weeks once the muscles bond to the new plastic inserts, but boxing I am unsure of.

Re:Boxing after Orbital Bone Reconstruction? 9 years, 4 months ago #94

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
I have never trained anyone coming back from that operation. Obviously consult with your doctor but you could also use this head gear until healing is improved. This head gear will allow you to work in the ring/cage with moderate sparring intensity.

www.ringside.com/detail.aspx?ID=25830
Last Edit: 9 years, 4 months ago by Rob Pilger.

Re:Boxing after Orbital Bone Reconstruction? 9 years, 3 months ago #95

• Alwyn
  • Fresh Boarder
I think the risk of blunt force trauma to the injured area is obviously higher in a striking system than a grappling based system, however it still exists. Your job is to avoid it ! It typically takes a lot more force than
(I believe David Reid had that surgery at some point)

I think you can come back to boxing - but it's a slow process and you need to be smart about it. No sparring in the beginning - transitioning to body only sparring - transitioning to headgear and big gloves. The good news is that you can train at max level for every other aspect the entire time -- the only real risk is hard sparring and taking punches to the previously injured area - there 's no risk with padwork, floorwork, bagwork or anything else.

The key will be how well the surgery was performed. Obviously being punched in the repaired area immediately is something we watnt o avoid. Actually being punched there with no previous injury is something that you want to avoid anyway!

Key - start slow with smart progressions.

AC

Re:Boxing after Orbital Bone Reconstruction? 9 years, 3 months ago #96

Thanks for the info. Sorry for the slow response its tough getting networks and communications set up on some of these remote job sites.

Start Slow with Smart Progressions

I'm back in the gym using a general strength program from Coach dos Remedios' book \"Power Training\", and mixing in some basic conditioning work as well.

Next week I plan on returning to Judo and add bagwork back into the routine. That should keep me busy until July 3rd when I'll have my final check up with the doc.

Re:Boxing after Orbital Bone Reconstruction? 9 years, 3 months ago #99

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
Good luck with everything and let us know if you need anything else...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds