Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Stretching for improved punching power?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stretching for improved punching power?

Stretching for improved punching power? 7 years, 8 months ago #208

• Iron Mike
  • Junior Boarder
Coach Rob:

I genetically have pretty good punching power and adequate strength when it comes to weights. I feel as though this ability and extra effort in the weight room is not transcending through the mits and that i'm not meeting my full potential. I can't seem to turn my hips or use my core when throwing my punches. Would stretching help me achieve that inherent power? If so, what type of stretching should i be concerned with? Upper body? Lower body?

Thanks for the advice Coach.

Jordan

Re:Stretching for improved punching power? 7 years, 8 months ago #209

• Joe Rossi
  • Fresh Boarder
Jordan,
I know this was directed to Coach Rob as I know he will respond too.
Stretching the muscles of the body that are tight will have a direct positive affect on your body's ability to move and perform better. What does this mean??? Make upper and lower body flexibility a part of your training. Stretch the muscles of the upper and lower body frequently during the training week. Without knowing you, but knowing a fighters posture, I would stretch the chest, lats, and biceps of the upper body. For the lower body, start stretching your calves, quads, hip-flexors, and gluteals (ass). This would be a good start. Become more flexible where you are not and you will then see punches and overall performance improve. Hope this helped Jordan,
Joe Rossi

Re:Stretching for improved punching power? 7 years, 8 months ago #211

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
mobility work that includes movement prep of the core, hips, is needed along with static stretches of the lats and medial shoulder rotators. There's plenty of exercises in the flexibility/mobility department. You'll get far more mobile and flexible the more you do them so do them.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds