Username Password: Remember me

Weightlifting for speed?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Weightlifting for speed?

Weightlifting for speed? 9 years, 9 months ago #51

• Steve
  • Fresh Boarder
I have had the wonderfull oportunity to get in with some pro boxers in the area and to begin training. Watching them, they have a insane amount of speed with their punches. Is there some weightlifting excersises or some plyometrics I can do to help increase my glove speed?

Re:Weightlifting for speed? 9 years, 9 months ago #54

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
Steve, That's awesome that you're training along some pros. Soak it all up bro. Increase your maximal strength to get faster adding plyos in will make you fast with increased strength. Bent-over rows, chin ups, pull-ups, training the lats will help you decelerate faster so you punch harder and quicker. Use reps between 3-5. Not knowing your strength training age you'll be better with these strength reps then as your strength training age matures 1-2 reps per training cycle can be used. See the Oly lift post for examples of plyo exercises for speed. I have some plyo videos coming so look out for those.

Working the smaller speed and double end bags will bring your hand speed to a new level. The peanut bag is a BITCH to hit. So work your way down the bag sizes and your hand speed will grow as you do this.

Also keep your flexibility/mobility work up. Keeping the kinks out for maximal speed.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds