Interval Training
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Interval Training

Interval Training 9 years, 7 months ago #59

• Rocko
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey Coach Rob, thanks for the site!

I have a question for you, and anyone on the forum. For my weightroom, and even cardio workouts, would you generally agree that interval training is the way to go? Are there any downsides?

I hope \"interval\" training is the right word. For example, when I do cardio on the treadmill, I tend to alternate slow jog with all out sprint speed. Typically it's say a minute on, a minute off. Likewise, when I lift weights now, I try to move quickly between different exercises and when I lift, I do so as quickly and explosively as possible. And I tend to perform the weightlifting exercises in \"rounds\" of 3 minutes or so.

Personally, I have found this has helped me the most in mimicking the type of strength and speed I need in the ring.

Would you agree with this approach, or do you have another preference? What do you tell the guys you train?

Re:Interval Training 9 years, 7 months ago #61

• Rob Pilger
  • Administrator
Hey Rocko, Nice pic bro!

Doing intervals like that is one way, there are more intense and effective ways. You don't want to adapt so changing up the intervals is a must. I'll be posting another q/a with Alwyn Cosgrove soon and I like and use some of the interval training methods he uses. Try shuttle runs. Mark out 30-40 yards and every 5 yards place a cone or marker. You sprint to each cone while returning to the starting position. Rest 60 sec. Body weight circuits are great too. I'll post a body weight workout I like in the conditioning department. Change of direction drills are a must Rocko. Just like in a fight the fighter is moving all directions. I'll also post a change of direction workout.

The weight complexes you are doing are great for muscle endurance. I would spend more time developing maximal strength first because other strength qualities are born from maximal strength. Speed, Power, etc. To be explosive and fast you MUST be strong. Develop a sound maximal strength base first to build speed, power, power endurance. Boxing training alone will develop plenty of muscle endurance. Use the strength training to develop the qualities you don't have and need. That is the goal and role of strength training my friend.

Re:Interval Training 8 years, 11 months ago #122

• Guy
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Rocko,

Rob hit the nail on the head there, What you are doing aint wrong and it aint bad! Its just that you can and will overtain that energy system . You should only train like this when you are peaking. Prior to that you should aim to get as strong as you can, focusing on the basic compound multi-joint exercises such as the Deadlift, power cleans, Over head press, and every variant of the squat that you can perform. These must all be performed safely and with excellent form, afterall you will be wanting to do these exercises for years to come and with as little pain as possible.

Your friend
Guy

Re:Interval Training 6 years, 6 months ago #253

• jla11hfta
  • Fresh Boarder
Awesome. Just awesome. Its great to see some good advice on getting power. I was never convinced of the cookie cutter high rep workouts either. In my own worthless opinion, the high rep stuff doesn't recruit enough neurons in your body to generate a lot of power. Punching is a compound movement. It requires synergistic movement throughout the whole body to deliver a powerful punch. You want to hit hard? Then lift heavy compound exercises with proper form, and get strong. People look at me like I have two heads when I tell them to squat and deadlift to get their benchpresses up. If Im wrong, please tell me. Dont want to be \"that\" guy haha.
Last Edit: 6 years, 6 months ago by jla11hfta. Reason: grammar
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds